Coming up on the finish line
This post isn't about moving, it's about running. Let me preface by saying - I am not a "professional" runner. I do not do marathons, half marathons or even 10K's (yet). But, I have grown to love running over the past 4 years.
I started running with my good friend, Katie, and we make a good team. You would think her being 3-4 inches taller than me that our strides would be way different. But, lucky for me she's got short legs and a long torso. That means our strides match perfectly. We almost always have the same breathing pattern (unless she forgets her inhaler or I've had a half gallon of moose tracks the night before). And most importantly, we've never been in it to win it - it's all about finishing. (I know for some of you reading this you're thinking "what's the point?".)
I think what I've enjoyed most is that one hour away from everything where I'm able to focus on God or me or prayer or nothing at all. It's also a time when I know I'll get to see one of my closest friends. Sometimes we rarely even talk - heck, it takes everything I can some days just to keeping breathing while we push through a few miles.
We've done a number of races together over the past four years. I tell people I really just do it for the t-shirt. This last race we did I texted Katie the night before & asked if we could just skip the race & wear our t-shirts to breakfast. Needless to say, we ran the race and then ate breakfast.
This past Sunday's race (7 Bridges Marathon) was probably my last race in Chattanooga before we move. It wasn't our greatest time, by any means (all my fault), but we did it. I've posted some before & after pictures. 1. It was pretty cold before we started, so don't think Katie's crazy for the gloves & jacket. I'm just tougher with no gloves & short sleeves. 2. Take a look at that beautiful view God gave us to run through!
1. Before

2. After


Awesome! I have truly grown to love running because I had someone like you to run with. Knowing that i was going to meet you, to talk a little and gasp for air, was what I needed. I have a feeling Sunday's race will not be our last. Not only was our time lack luster, but the bright orange shirt was pretty hideous! And if it's all about the shirt, then we certainly can't stop now! :)
ReplyDelete